The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) will offer special archery deer hunts at seven locations that border three of Ohio’s State Scenic Rivers through local lottery drawings. The hunts will offer sportsmen a unique opportunity to explore seldom visited sites, while lessening the impact of deer browsing on native plant populations.
The Scenic Rivers Program has identified properties along some of Ohio’s highest quality rivers and streams to be open for the hunts. These woodland and successional habitats, including broad floodplains and upland regions, have seen very little hunting and should offer good sporting conditions.
Application for the hunts will be handled at the local level by ODNR staff during scheduled drawings. Hunters must attend individual meetings if they are interested in particular hunts. At that time, hunters can enter the drawing by purchasing a single ticket at the price of $5. Hunters must possess a valid 2016-2017 hunting license in order to purchase tickets.
Names will be randomly drawn, and those selected will be assigned a specific time to hunt. An orientation will be conducted immediately following the drawing, outlining special regulations for the hunts. Hunters will be permitted to hunt with a partner. The partner is not required to attend the drawing or orientation.
All of these special hunts will be archery only, and each winner will receive a two-week period in which they can hunt at that particular site. Hunters may enter the drawings for all seven of the hunts, but they must attend the meeting for each hunt in order to enter the drawing. Entry forms will not be accepted by mail or phone.
Hunt locations and drawing dates are listed below:
- Terra Nova (Union County) site located on Big Darby Creek. The hunt site is located on North Lewisburg Road in North Lewisburg. The hunt meeting and drawing for the Terra Nova hunt will be held at the Plain City Youth Building located in Pastime Park, 344 N. Chillicothe St., Plain City. This drawing will be held on Saturday, Aug. 27, at 9 a.m.
- Milford Center (Union County) site located on Big Darby Creek. The hunt site is located between Middleburg-Plain City and North Darby Coe Road just southeast of Collins Road. The hunt meeting and drawing for the Milford Center hunt will be held at the Plain City Youth Building located in Pastime Park, 344 N. Chillicothe St., Plain City. This drawing will be held on Saturday, Aug. 27, at 9 a.m.
- Abshire-Graves (Darke County) site is located on the Stillwater River. The hunt site is located on State Route 185, Versailles. The hunt meeting and drawing for the Abshire-Graves hunt will be held at the Barn at Stillwater Prairie, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. This drawing will be held on Saturday, Aug. 27, at 3 p.m.
The meetings and drawings for all four Little Miami River sites (Deerfield Gorge, Caesar Creek, Hall’s Creek and Roxanna) will be held at the Wayne Township Administration building hearing room at 6050 North Clarksville Road, Waynesville. These drawings will be held on Saturday, Sept. 10, at 10 a.m.
- Deerfield Gorge (Warren County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site is located on King Avenue, Maineville.
- Caesar Creek (Warren County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site for Caesar Creek is located on County Road 30 (Middletown Road), Waynesville.
- Hall’s Creek (Warren County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site for Hall’s Creek is located on Mason Morrow Millgrove Road, Morrow.
- Roxanna (Greene County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site for Roxanna is located on U.S. Route 42, Spring Valley.
Ohio pioneered the river preservation movement in 1968 with the passage of the nation’s first scenic rivers act. This legislation created a state program to protect Ohio’s remaining high quality streams for future generations. Scenic rivers retain most of their natural characteristics at a time when many rivers reflect the negative impacts of human activities. There are currently 14 designated state scenic rivers in Ohio.