We started cutting wheat around the 17th. We had a little freeze damage in the wheat in the areas where I expected it. There the yields were in the mid to low 80s but the rest of it has been in the upper 90s and low 100s.
The test weight has been fine. Some of the worst areas of the wheat were a pound or two lighter but nothing drastic like I thought it would be. There just was not seed in the head. About three-fourths of the stem was still wet where there was frost damage. The wheat never matured right. The seed head was dry but the stems were tough.
We still have about 75 acres to do and I’m hoping to start on it late this afternoon. We leave the straw and double-crop right behind it. I like having that residue out on the field and it lets us get the double-crop beans in faster too.
We got four to 4.5 inches of rain Friday night into Saturday and I’m sure that will lead to lower test weights. The sooner we can get that cut the less likely we are to have quality issues. The first double-crop beans were planted a week ago and you can row those now. With that rain and heat, they popped up pretty quickly and are not looking bad. The beans are really taking off growing.
The rain fell over a long period. It was a nice rain. As we got closer to that four-inch mark we started to see some water running off but the ground really took it in. The wet holes still have water standing in them but if the wheat was left in the tiled ground we could have probably run yesterday.
We went almost three weeks without any measurable rain. On the gravel ground the corn was getting pretty stressed. The beans weren’t growing well but it is hard to believe how they jumped out of the ground.
You can’t really tell the difference between the April and May planted corn anymore. We have a bit of giant ragweed along some field edges, but overall the fields are looking petty clean. We’ll start post- spraying beans this week and we’ll be using the new technology. Two-thirds of our beans are dicamba beans.