The rain slowed us up a little bit but we had projects to catch up on anyway so it has been a little bit of a relief. We are coming along with beans and they are running through nicely after the problems we saw with the insect damage in that first field. It was an early field and I think it was a timing thing with the insects. We had some damage from stink bugs and we also had some damage from the bean leaf beetle, which causes Phomopsis.
We have combined some corn and got a good start on one farm. It is doing very well yield wise and quality is good. It is drying down fast. The corn we are in is right about 21% and it is full season corn, but it was planted early. The first field we were in had some gravel knolls and the stalk quality was deteriorating quickly. The gravel knolls were right at 140 and there were spots around 220 bushels in the good ground. The next field of corn is more even and doing very well. Some of the things we did to push yield look like they are working in that field.
The other fields I have checked are standing pretty well. You don’t have to go too far, though, where stalk issues are becoming a problem. Corn wise I have not seen quality issues and I have checked quite a few fields.
There are some beans in really black soil that are really leaning to maybe down on the ground, but we can still get underneath them. You don’t like to see that because we are losing some bushels there. That will be a challenge with some of these fields planted at too high of a population.
With the beans, the first field was around 50 to 55 and the next fields have been doing quite a bit better than that. I feel good about harvest. We just have to keep the combine rolling.