There will be a new class for the Ohio State Fair, a Commercial Pen of 5 Market Lamb Show.
- Increase producer’s knowledge of carcass merit of the lambs they are producing
- Provide carcass data to producers to aid in sire evaluations
- Promote the high quality product being produced by the Ohio Lamb Industry
- Expand the number of lambs available for the Ohio State Fair Lamb Sale to support the needs of the Kroger Company
- Provide a greater opportunity for producers to participate in Ohio State Fair sheep activities
Rules for participation:
- Open to any producer of market lambs – wethers and ewe lambs.
- Entry Fee – $25 /pen of 5 – Maximum of 5 entries per family.
- All entries must have a number one pelt (approx 90 days growth) with a fleece length of (one inch) 1” +/- ¼” (hair breeds will be allowed to show but no shearing will be allowed).
- Lambs will not be washed or trimmed.
- Lambs will be shown loose in pens with no handler in the pen at time of judging.
- Lambs showing influence of the callipyge gene will not be accepted.
- All lambs in the pen must weigh a minimum of 100# and no more than 165#. Lambs weighing 120# to 145# and properly finished are desired.
- Lambs determined to be un-thrifty, light weight or extremely thin by the live lamb judge will be eliminated from the contest. The exhibitor is responsible for removing these lambs after live evaluation is completed.
- Any lambs with evidence of prolapse, sore mouth or foot rot will not be accepted.
- All lambs will have full access to water and bedding while housed at the OSF
- All lambs arrive by 8:00pm on Monday July 25th
- All lambs will be tagged, weighed and ultra-sounded to estimate fat thickness on Tuesday July 26th beginning at 1:00pm
- Live evaluation of lambs 1:00-2:30 pm July 26th
- Jackpot evaluation contest open to all Junior and Senior producers 2:30-3:30PM (evaluation cards must be submitted at times lambs are loaded out for harvest)
- Winners will be announced during the Market Lamb Sale July 28th – 7PM
- Live Animal Placing: $25 22 20 18 15
- Carcass Placing: $200 175 150 125 100
For additional information contact: Gregg E. Fogle, (614) 442-1538, firstname.lastname@example.org