Between the Rows-May 9th

“I was wondering if we could use profanity in this or not. We would have been planting today if it hadn’t rained on Friday. It is encouraging to see that, while there is a chance of a shower every day, it is pretty low. We’re hoping to start spraying tomorrow, but there is no fieldwork going on around here, per se. If the weather holds like they say it might, we could be in the field planting by Thursday. They are talking about 70- or 80-degree temperatures. Maybe we are going to be jumping right into that summer weather we’ve been waiting for.

“It seems like the farther south you are, the wetter it is. North of us in Williams County, I was told that there was some planting going on. Until the tile lines get to where they almost aren’t running any more, you know you’re still saturated. They are still running, but it is less every day. You can still tell that we need a little more time yet before we get in the field.

“I cannot remember the last time that we did not plant corn in April on our good high sands. There is sure a lot of talk about this weather, but there is also a lot of talk about the markets. I think the talk about the fieldwork and the markets is running neck in neck right now. Things can get done in a hurry with technology today, so it really doesn’t seem to be a big concern quite yet.

“Weeds are starting to get serious. Some of these fields that we may get planted, maybe we should not go in and burn them down because we’ll be spraying them in another 10 days anyway and it could save us a trip. We’re just far enough north that we are not as far along with the weeds. Some people with four-wheelers are getting out there, but we’re using a RoGater and we need another day yet before we can get on it.”
“Nothing is getting done, the same as two weeks ago. We could just do a re-print of the last report. We’ve gotten close to 3 inches over the last week and a half. There has been no spraying here, but, surprisingly enough, the weeds are not too bad. There are a few fields here and there that are pretty hairy, but it is really not too bad.”

There is sun today, but a continued soggy forecast. “The seven-day forecast calls for a chance of rain every day. There is a lower chance of rain, though, than we have had. The latest start for us has been on May 18 in 1996 and we’re getting close to that. I think guys are still pretty positive, though. Guys aren’t getting too worked up yet this year. It is what it is, and everybody has learned that you can’t change things. Everybody around here will keep planting corn unless we get to the crop insurance deadline.

“We got rain Saturday, and water was standing in pockets again. It will have to stay nice for another two days for us to be able to start spraying. One of these days it will turn around. Maybe next time there will be something more positive to report.”

“We at least got our grass mowed on the one or two days of sunshine. It looks like it might be the end of May now before we can get in. There has been no spraying done. Nothing. It is going to take more chemicals to burn the weeds down. We already upped our Roundup rates, but we can’t even get in to spray that. If it gets much beyond the end of May, we may have to switch to beans.

“Back in the early ‘80s we got started on the 22nd of May, but we’ve never had rain like this with only a couple days of dry weather. We got 2 inches last week, and it rained over the weekend another half inch. Unless you have well-tiled fields and rolling ground, you can’t get much done. There is no corn in around us.

“Most of the guys around me say they’ll plant corn until June 10 and then they’ll switch over. We’re getting very concerned. Hopefully we can get in. We’ve gotten at least 4 inches in the last two weeks, but I haven’t added it all up. There is so much water on the ground we can’t get much done. We’re going to be awfully busy once we do get rolling. We’ll have nitrogen, planting and spraying all at the same time.”

“We are doing a little bit. We lucked out and didn’t get any rain on Saturday. We did some disking on Saturday and put some anhydrous on with strip-till in some of our bottom ground. We cleaned up some logs and debris. From the flood there was some soybean stubble and corn stalks washed into windrows that we got cleaned up and spread over the rest of the field. The soil moisture was definitely on the border, but we felt that it was close enough that we weren’t going to hurt anything.

“Yesterday I saw a guy out in the field getting some corn in, but that was the first. We might get some corn in the ground tomorrow. We’ve got to get the field disked and get the nitrogen on today and we could get that corn in tomorrow. There is a chance of showers tonight and then there is a chance of rain every day. Unless a thunderstorm pops up, though, we should be able to work today and tomorrow.

“We’re working on our bottom ground that is sandy with gravel underneath, which is why we were able to get on it. We have 120 acres of really nice bottom ground, and the rest of it we haven’t touched yet. Once we get that done, we are going to have to wait on the weather like everybody else.

“We got some manure hauled on Friday and got some field work done on Saturday. Other than that, there hasn’t been much done in the last two weeks. We’ve been able to keep on top of weeds with our little SpraCoup, which has been a big help.”

Check Also

Ag groups expressing concerns about tax reform

The Tax Aggie Coalition sent a letter Monday to congressional leadership reiterating that any tax …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *