By Dave Nanda, Seed Consultants, Inc.
Why was there such a wide variation in yields this year? There are several reasons for this:
• Rainfall was one of the main reasons for yield variations.
• Temperatures — cooler areas in the northern Corn Belt had higher yields than south. There isn’t much we can do about changing the weather but pray!
• Soil type — The darker soils with high organic matter with a greater water retention capacity gave higher yields. It was more important during this year with a very hot and dry summer.
• Drainage played an important role in planting as better drained soils dried sooner and allowed planting earlier compared to poorly drained soils. Many farmers are tiling their fields.
• Planting date — the fields which were planted earlier yielded more than later plantings. Most farmers who planted earlier could plant between 11th and 15th of May.… Continue readingRead More »